Tuesday 24 June 2014

Ana Mendieta By Helen Mandley (Essay)

Ana Mendieta
By Helen Mandley

Viewing the Ana Mendieta ‘Traces’ exhibition at The Hayward Gallery has led me

to explore the enigma of this Artist’s work further. I was initially struck by these

burnt wood sculptures of maybe 5ft tall, I felt I was witnessing the remains of a

dark secret, ritual markings, some delicate and feminine in leaf like shapes, some

raw and crude, some placed apparently random appearing as how nature had

drawn them. Were these artefacts privy to a set of people who are practicing black

magic?

Maybe these were the remains of natural phenomena. These feelings glued me to

the spot with wonder and a sense of fear as to what to expect from further work.

Looking at the notes on the piece, I read about the Cuban roots of Mendieta and

her interest in Santeria, Santeria provided both a way of reconnecting with her

homeland and a spiritual system- earth based, featuring female deities or (orishas)

as well as male and female priests (santero and santera) in keeping with her

feminist concerns. –Women, Art And Society, Whitney Chadwick, Fourth Edition

Moving onto her photos of her body and body outlines in various environments

was equally exciting, there was one of her body covered in feathers, was this self

harm? Did she feel she needed to be punished? Was she wishing to be a bird and

fly to somewhere far away? Maybe she just wanted to be free and in disguise? All

these questions came to me. To me, I felt as though she wanted to run away and

reconnect with her real homeland, she felt displaced in the shell she was

naturally in at that point. Her body outline in sand, from the Silueta Series, Red

Flowers silueta on sand, Mexico 76, reminded me of corpse ashes being tossed

into the ocean, a trace of the human has remained just floating out to sea where

the water and elements may take it; this sombre photo stirred a sense of a lost

soul, someone trying to get out their shell, to fly in the wind or sail in the sea like

a discarded flower from one shore to another, yet beautiful and gentle without

harm to anyone, just being, without identity, settling wherever the wind and sea

takes it, maybe this is how she felt at that exact moment.   Very well put by

Blocker, cited by Mariana Ortega in an essay ‘Exiled Space, in between space:

existential spatiality in Ana Mendieta’s Siluetas Series’, “By engaging the

contradictions of identificatory practice relative to the female, the primitive, the

earth, and nation, Mendieta occupies the discursive position of exile, and she uses

this position to produce in us a sense of the uncanny”

and

“Geographies and their signification thus emerge not as the site of secure and

coherent identities but rather as those disruptive interventions in the historical

narratives of culture”  Rogoff- The Discourse of Exile



Equally beguiling is ‘Grass Silueta, Iowa,78’, this has an ephemeral quality, just

capturing an outline of a body in the long grass, reminding me of days as a child

walking in the countryside, feeling or believing to have caught a glimpse of

someone or something beside me in a field, hearing a whisper of the wind or

snap of a twig underfoot and turning to see the grass stand upright as though

someone had just walked amongst it. Grass Silueta conjured up the stories I

heard as a child about ‘The Bogey Man’, I suspect used in The Fens to keep

children from straying too far, also the stories I have heard about Obeah or Ju Ju

from my Caribbean friends, about a man with horses hooves walking around

 fields and forests in St Lucia, scaring local people who believe they have seen

him. Much like the rest of the Caribbean there is always a tale to tell about a local

‘Bogey man’ or ‘Cloved footed man’ or such other superstitions. Caribbean

culture is steeped in such tales and no one is considered silly to believe them, it’s

within the local folklore of each island, I think Mendieta was linking ‘Grass Silueta’

to Cuban folklore here as the Grass Silueta photo showed her own silhouette

being removed from somewhere and a trace remained, giving the viewer a ghost

like sense, I think a glimpse into her psyche. 

Looking at her sand drawings was less interesting, to me they were rather like

doodles on a notepad, although I haven’t explored the significance these have

artistically to her work, they were quite child-like and playful. Maybe these are

Santeria or Cuban symbols, but unlike her other work they did not capture my

imagination as much, as it did not feel as though Mendieta had taken as much

time and care to produce.

Her film ‘Traces’ had a metamorphosis message to it. Her silhouette was again

transformed, she became a butterfly then finally a devil like creature through a

process of growth, light and fire, like a re-birthing. Fascinating to watch, the

message was once again about life and death, how quick it can come, about

beauty, demons, identity, freedom, loss and regaining something. The sense that

we all struggle with these issues spoke to me directly whilst watching.

Even her photos with male facial hair appear playful, yet they also have this

seriousness about them, female artists during the 70s and 80s were struggling to

find their place, I think this is a statement about what it was to be a man,

sexuality, women and men in society at that time! Also about male power over

women and the presence of a man. Whilst  I consider this a tongue in cheek

female transvestite expression, I think at the time these photos would’ve been

quite shocking to the world, I like to imagine this issue would’ve been explored

further had she had lived.

Looking at the images of her bruised, splattered and smeared in blood, I found

these disturbing to view, as though I was really encroaching on her personal

space, who had done this? Was this planned? I questioned the intention of this

work, why show such morbid images? However, afterwards I understood her

reasons for producing these photos. In the 70s and 80s feminism was still

emerging out of infancy and this was a very powerful statement about domestic

violence, women were still fighting for their rights in western society as well as

the Art world. It is interesting to me, as I consider myself a feminist as well as

someone that wishes to explore taboos; I wondered why I was reticent to view

these photos of a battered woman? What ignorant bubble was I actually living

in? Was it past my viewing threshold to witness this type of pain? Are these not

the borders that I also wish to cross as a Fine Artist?  For instance my photos of

homelessness were challenging for some people to look at yet this work

challenged me internally, whilst  the viewer may find these images unpalatable, I

know that this is what I would like to do. Maybe I am a little afraid, maybe the

arousal of dormant memories of events I would rather forget frightens me, but

the truth is there for us all to see and do something about, or ignore and remain

in our own little bubble pretending that everything is ok. I think these photos

have become some of my favourite pieces now, because this epitomizes the artist

and society laid bare.

Mendieta has helped me address my own demons, angels, consciousness, my

past and more importantly the present. For me art is not about the pretty

landscape or the beautiful girl, it’s about the purging, the exposure of taboos and

she has inspired me to explore this further.

Some of her work has reminded me of my own interest in what has been left

behind, my video of rain water running down the road captured something many

ignore, the light reflected on oil spills and the photographic work on

homelessness and the footprints left behind, as I tried to entice viewers to look

and ponder what had occurred in those spaces. Throughout the exhibition I felt

her with me, she succeeded so brilliantly as an artist, I really connected with her,

her  work showing a residue of what has been has aroused a need within me to

unearth  more taboos about the hidden in my own work.



“My exploration through my art of the relationship between myself and nature has

been a clear result of my having been torn from my homeland during my

adolescence. The making of my Silueta in nature keeps (makes) the transition

between my homeland and my new home. It is a way of reclaiming my roots and

becoming one with nature. Although the culture in which I live is part of me, my

roots and cultural identity are a result of my Cuban heritage” Ana Mendieta


“Sometimes it’s not enough to know what things mean, sometimes you have to know what things don’t mean”  Bob Dylan

References

Books:
Women, Art And Society, Whitney Chadwick, 4th Edition
Generations and Geographies in the Visual Arts: Feminist Readings edited by Griselda Polloc

Online:



No comments:

Post a Comment